Fall in Love With Thelema This Autumn
5 May 2016
Autumn is the most picturesque time in the year to visit the Cape Winelands. One’s visual senses are bombarded by the array of golden yellow and rustic hues in our vineyards and ancient oak trees lining the drive onto the farm. Visitors to Thelema are now warming themselves at our fireplace, enjoying the cosy atmosphere and moody views of the Drakenstein mountains.
The frenzied rush of harvest has passed and the winemakers are now tasked with tasting through the various tanks of our new vintage Sauvignon Blanc wines in preparation for the upcoming blending and bottling that takes place in June. Our volumes are down in 2016 due to the dry summer and the Simonsberg fire, but Rudi is extremely happy with the quality that they’ve tasted thus far. On Thelema farm, the final soil preparations are being done on blocks that will be planted to new vines this Spring. Apart from the wine grapes, our olive trees on Thelema are being harvested while across the mountain, the team at Sutherland Vineyards are picking the last of the Granny Smith and Pink Lady apples.
MUM’S THE WORD THIS MAY
As South Africans pay special tribute to their mothers this month, we thought it would be appropriate to write a short feature on our single vineyard Chardonnay called Ed’s Reserve. The wine is named after Edna McLean, Gyles’ mother-in-law, who with her dry sense of humour and bubbly personality is fondly remembered by all those who met her in the tasting room.
Made from a unique clone of Chardonnay (Clone 166) the wine shows Muscat-like floral and perfumed characteristics, with yellow fruit, hints of spice and a lovely creamy texture on the palate. This hidden gem isn’t widely available in the retail environment, so come try it for yourself at Thelema or add it to your basket when ordering online.
NEW MINT ON THE BLOCK
We have just released the new vintage of “The Mint” Cabernet Sauvignon 2013. In general, 2013 reds are proving to show lovely pure fruit expression with fine, rounded tannins. We love the wine’s apparent freshness due to the influence of the Eucalyptus trees, the ripe cassis and chocolatey tannins on the palate, making it a seriously enjoyable wine when celebrating with friends.
Another wonderful red wine to consider is the new vintage of Sutherland Cabernet Sauvignon / Petit Verdot 2011, from our vineyards in Elgin.
THELEMA CABERNET SAUVIGNON AWARDED 91 POINTS BY WINE SPECTATOR
The Thelema Cabernet Sauvignon received it’s 14th 90+ point rating from the prestigious Wine Spectator magazine for the 2011 vintage.
EVENTS AND FESTIVALS
- 5 – 6 May – Wade Bales Wine & Malt Whisky Affair 2016 at African Pride 15 on Orange Hotel in Cape Town
- 25 May – Wine & Dine @ 54 on Bath in Rosebank, Johannesburg – for more info email email@example.com.
- 26 May – Fine Wine Prive 2016 at La Lucia Mall in Durban
- 26 May – Rabelais Dinner – A la Bouffe. R450 per person. Booking essential. RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org or 011 888 8004/061 499 8872
- 28 May – Shiraz & Charcuterie at Anthonij Rupert Wines in Franschhoek
- 28 – 29 May – Casalinga Groves and Vineyards Festival at Casalinga Ristorante Italiano in Muldersdrift, Gauteng
- 24 June – Cabernet Sauvignon Wine & Dine at Grande Provence in Franschhoek